Saturday, November 15, 2014

A HOLIDAY MIRACLE IN APPLE BLOSSOM: My Creative Journey with Author June McCrary Jacobs


A Holiday Miracle in Apple Blossom
When her student, six-year-old Mary Noel, survives a car accident over Thanksgiving break, Amber and her new friend, Paul, are determined to cheer her up during the holidays. But Mary Noel’s most painful injury is the loss of her dog. The more withdrawn Mary Noel becomes, the more Amber and Paul need a miracle—a miracle that requires the entire community’s help.

"I wanted to portray a wholesome relationship between a man and woman with similar values where their friendship and common goals were the basis for developing a love relationship,” said McCrary Jacobs. “The community of Apple Blossom pulls together to help a family in need and is very successful in their efforts.”

“A Holiday Miracle in Apple Blossom” is available in bookstores and on Amazon.com, BooksAndThings.com, and BarnesAndNoble.com.

My Creative Journey by Author June McCrary Jacobs
Hello, MK.  Thank you for the opportunity to share with your readers!
My creative journey began when I was about four years old. I enjoyed drawing, coloring, painting, cutting, etc., from a very young age, so people told me I was creative. I was praised for having a good imagination. Being creative and having a good imagination are the first two traits I possessed which contributed to my becoming an author.
 A new world was introduced to me when I received my own copy of Dr. Seuss’s ‘The Cat in the Hat Comes Back’ as a gift from my Grandma McCrary sometime before I entered Kindergarten. I loved the rhythm and language in the story. Soon I learned to read by myself.
I’ve been a voracious reader since first grade. In grade school I enjoyed the Little House on the Prairie Books, The Boxcar Children series, the Hollisters and the Bobbsey Twins, and Trixie Belden mysteries. Now I enjoy many genres. (Please check out my Goodreads Author Page for more details on this subject.) Reading frequently is the third effective habit a writer needs to practice.
I learned to sew by hand when I was around eight years old. I made doll clothes and blankets for my dolls and gifts for friends and family. When I was twelve, I learned how to sew on a sewing machine. Through my grandma’s and aunt’s mentoring and many sewing classes in junior high and high school I became a skilled seamstress. I learned to be meticulous in my methods as I made progressively more difficult projects. Attention to detail is the fourth effective habit of authors.
In sixth grade I announced to my teacher I was going to write a book when I grew up. She responded with an unkind remark. Fortunately, telling me I can’t do something has a positive effect on me. It makes me more determined to reach my goal. Determination is the fifth good habit of a successful writer.
A few years ago I began submitting my original sewing designs to magazines and books for publication. Rejection messages flowed into my email inbox at a much higher rate than the acceptance messages! In spite of the negativity and criticism, I toiled on in my quest to be published. Persistence is the sixth habit an author must possess.
I have been fortunate to have had my designs published in magazines, books, and on blogs both nationally and internationally. I learned about being a concise technical writer from world renowned sewing expert, author, and editor, Wendy Gardiner, while I worked with her at Sewing World and Sew Hip Magazines. I was chosen to write a quarterly column for Sewing World for two years. This is where I first honed my skills as a nonfiction author. With Wendy’s guidance, I learned to say what I needed (or wanted) to say with a minimum of verbiage because print space in the magazine was at a premium. Being concise is the seventh good habit an author needs to possess.
A few years ago I began dabbling in fiction writing. I submitted to various small and large presses. Looking back at my list of early submissions, I realize now I was fearless when it came to sending out my work for consideration for publication. Whenever I thought about abandoning my writing, my mind flew back to my young, innocent, twelve-year-old self telling my teacher and anyone else who would listen that I was going to write a book when I grew up. Those memories inspired me to find my way while traversing through some difficult times in the publishing business.
I had the good fortune to correspond with two acquisitions editors who shared their expertise with me. I implemented the tips they shared for polishing dialogue and POV (point of view) transitions for characters. The eighth good habit for writers is learning from experienced editors and authors who generously share their knowledge with you.
I stayed true to my message, beliefs, and ethics, and somehow found my way to Cedar Fort Inc.’s 2013 Holiday Tale Contest. The prize included the publication of my first book, ‘A Holiday Miracle in Apple Blossom’. It took over forty years, but my childhood dream had become a reality! This is the ninth good habit of a successful author. Stay true to yourself even when you feel things around you are not going well.  
Unfortunately, once you are a published author not everyone thinks you are something special. There are plenty of reviewers, critics, and rejections for new work waiting to drain your positivity and hinder your creativity. This is the tenth good habit of an effective writer:  Have steadfast confidence in yourself and in the message you want to share with readers.
MK, my best wishes to you and your readers for a beautiful holiday season filled with joy, new memories, and love. All my holiday best, June

June McCrary Jacobs spent twenty years as a primary grade educator after graduating from California State University, Hayward, with a Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration and a multiple-subject teaching credential. Along with writing fiction, June is a freelance designer of sewing, quilting and crafting projects. “A Holiday Miracle in Apple Blossom” is June's debut novel, though not her first published work. Since 2007 June's original sewing, quilting and stitchery projects and articles have been published in national and international magazines including Stitch, Sew News, Sewing World, Simply Handmade, Sew Hip, Sewing Savvy, Crafts 'n Things and Create & Decorate. Two of her sewing designs for children will appear in the upcoming “101 One-Yard Little Wonders” book published by Storey Publishing. A Californian since age six, June currently resides in the San Joaquin Valley.

Learn more about June's writing endeavors and view some of her original sewing projects by visiting her website at www.junemccraryjacobs.com

Connect with June
-My website and ‘Writing and Sewing’ blog can be found at:  http://www.junemccraryjacobs.com.  I write about books, book reviews, textile shows, museum exhibits, and sewing tips there with a new post each Wednesday. The first Wednesday of each month (and sometimes additional times throughout the month) I post free patterns and instructions for one of my original-design sewing or crafting projects for readers’ use and enjoyment.

-My Author’s Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/June-McCrary-Jacobs/153549754836128.  If you Like my Facebook page you’ll receive automatic notifications of new postings and the free projects, etc.


-My Goodreads Author Page:  http://www.goodreads.com/June-McCrary-Jacobs
  
-My Email Address is:  junemccraryjacobs@gmail.com 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is a happy place for book lovers. Please keep all comments kind and clean. All unhappy comments will be removed. Thank you!