Saturday, October 18, 2014

Daily Habits of Happy People: Week 3


Because October is my happy month, I decided to share my take on an article I read titled 10 Daily Habits of Exceptionally Happy People. Now, there are a lot of these lists out there, but this one has thus far been my favorite. I consider myself a relatively happy person to begin with, but there's always room for improvement. 

So, here are my thoughts on these daily habits, and I will share two per week. Read Week 1Read Week 2.


"I will not waste time on people who make no difference in my life." 

Okay, so this is a bit harsh but important. Those who have read most of the posts on my blog know that I'm not much of a fan of social media, so it gets a bit of abuse from me. I enjoy the interaction with readers that social media allows, but there's such a thing as too much. Have you ever found yourself saying that you don't have time to read a book, visit family, or call an old friend, but you've spent 20 minutes, 2 hours, or 10 hours in a week on social media or surfing the internet? The living, breathing, people in your life who you can touch, speak with face to face, and the people who matter, deserve some time and attention.

"I will not be distracted by multiple notifications." 

We're hitting on another pet peeve of mine. You're enjoying lunch or a conversation with someone, and suddenly their phone beeps. They have a new email. Their phone beeps again. One of their "friends" just posted something on Facebook. Oops, another beep. They just found out something about someone on Twitter. Keeping up with friends and the world isn't necessarily a bad thing, but when you're constantly dividing your attention, your focus is split, and you end up doing things half-baked. Take time to focus on what you're doing and then move on to the next thing. Those notifications and emails will still be there when you're ready to take a breather. Until then, breathe, focus, and give your best effort to whatever you're doing--one thing at a time.


Moose photo credit: thor_mark  via photopin cc

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is a happy place for book lovers. Please keep all comments kind and clean. All unhappy comments will be removed. Thank you!