THE TRAIL TO CROOKED CREEK: A Romantic Western Adventure

The Trail to Crooked Creek , a new romantic and adventurous western novella in the Crooked Creek series is now here to fill your hours with ...

Saturday, October 4, 2014

Daily Habits of Happy People: Week 1

Taken in Camden, Maine by MK McClintock

Because October is my happy month, I decided to share my take on an article I read titled about the daily habits of happy people. Now, there are a lot of these lists out there, but this one has thus far been my favorite. I consider myself a relatively happy person to begin with, but there's always room for improvement. 

So, here are my thoughts on these daily habits, and I will share two per week. 

Week 1: 

"I will not blame other people -- for anything." 

This is a big one. I've not only worked with people who blame others for their failings, but this happens all of the time in one's personal life. Unfortunately, it often comes in the form of whining and complaining, and I'd just as soon not listen. Why didn't you get that promotion? Why did your relationship go south? Why did my book get such bad reviews? Why did my friend share that gossip and get me in trouble? Why didn't the publisher want my book?

These are all questions that one could ask themselves when something goes wrong, and all situations in which someone could blame something or someone else. So and so sabotaged me at work. He/She didn't appreciate me enough and I saw it coming. Readers just don't know what they're talking about. My friend should have kept what I said confidential. The publisher doesn't know quality when they read it. 

Sound familiar? 

Instead, one might take a moment to turn the questions back on themselves and see where they might have gone wrong. I could ask my supervisor where I could improve in order to get the next promotion. I wasn't there for my partner either. Maybe I should take some of these reviews in consideration and see where I can improve. I shouldn't have gossiped in the first place, then my friend wouldn't have thought it was okay to pass it along. The publisher has a great reputation, and I'm sorry they didn't want my book, but they aren't the only publisher around . . . 

Casting blame is easy, but it won't make you happy. Whether you realize it or not, chances are you carry a bit of guilt every time you blame someone else for your shortcomings, failings, or mistakes. 


"I will not check my phone while I'm talking to someone." 

This is one of my biggest pet peeves. I get that emergencies—both personal and professional—happen. Does that mean that anytime an email, text, or phone call comes in you should pick it up and interrupt an ongoing conversation? 

I'll just say it—this is rude. What's just as rude? When you take that emergency phone call without actually saying, "Excuse me," or "Would you mind?" I'd rather be in a conversation with someone who is actually listening, and who makes me feel important or who cares about what I'm saying.

I've actually left a lunch I was having with a friend/colleague because they couldn't stop checking their emails, texts, and even worse, their social media updates. Every few minutes their phone would beep announcing a new update. I can think of better ways to spend my lunch hour. Do yourself and others a favor, and ditch the phone (or leave it on silent) while you're in a meeting, out to lunch, or supposedly spending quality time with someone. 


Do you ever find yourself "suffering" from one of these bad habits?


This post was originally published in 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is a happy place for book lovers. Please keep all comments kind and clean. All unhappy comments will be removed. Thank you!