THE TRAIL TO CROOKED CREEK: A Romantic Western Adventure

The Trail to Crooked Creek , a new romantic and adventurous western novella in the Crooked Creek series is now here to fill your hours with ...

Saturday, May 31, 2014

Embrace the Mystique, Romance, and Magic of "What is Hidden" by Lauren Skidmore


In a land of masquerades and mystery, Evie is a mask maker in Venesia, where masks represent rank and identity. When a cryptic bandit strips away Evie’s mask and destroys her home, she goes into hiding at the palace to find both a new identity—and revenge. Fantasy lovers will be caught up by the mystique, romance, and magic of What is Hidden.

Praise for What is Hidden
"Crisp dialogue and quick pacing propel the story, a riff on Cinderella, to an action-filled ending. Filled with gossiping servants, palace intrigue, and masquerading royal personages, this novel will appeal to romance and fantasy fans. Ages 12 and up." 

"Lauren Skidmore’s “What Is Hidden” is an enchanting story of friendship, romance and loyalty, complete with royal balls and a prince in disguise." 

Paperback: 256 pages
Publisher: Cedar Fort, Inc.
Release Date: May 13, 2014

A Q&A with Author Lauren Skidmore
What has been your greatest challenge as a writer? Have you been able to overcome it?
I’m a huge over-thinker. I’ll think and think and think about what I want to write without ever writing it down. I’ve found that doing National Novel Writing Month where I’m forced to just write is super helpful. I’m also really competitive, so I’ll do a lot of word wars that’ll get me writing. 

What is your favorite scene in What is Hidden
Without any spoilers, Chapter 24 was my favorite to write, and one I’d pictured from the very beginning. 

Do you share any personality traits with Evie?
Evie and I are both stubbornly independent. 

Do you have to be alone or have quiet to write?
I generally write best in the middle of the night when there’s nothing and no one to distract me. I like to have music in the background though, and have a playlist for each book. 

What appeals to you most about your chosen genre? 
I love seeing the completely different worlds that fantasy writers come up with. It’s like traveling without all the hassle. 

What has been your greatest pleasure in writing What is Hidden
Looking up gorgeous masks, and learning more about glass making. I had a lot of fun designing the mask system. 

Lauren Skidmore grew up in Kansas, with stints in Ohio and New York, and currently lives in Utah. She attended Brigham Young University where she earned a BA in English Teaching with an emphasis in Teaching English as a Second Language and Japanese. She then spent a year in Japan teaching and travelling. She hasn’t made it to Europe yet, but it’s on the list and has been to 30 states in the U.S. so far. When she’s not exploring new places, you can probably find her on the internet with fifteen windows open and looking at just one more thing before actually getting something done.



2 comments:

  1. Welcome to the blog, Lauren! First, let me say that your cover is stunning. It conveys such intrigue! I'll admit it's outside my usual scope of reading genres, but I'm giving this one a try.

    ReplyDelete

This is a happy place for book lovers. Please keep all comments kind and clean. All unhappy comments will be removed. Thank you!