THE TRAIL TO CROOKED CREEK: A Romantic Western Adventure

The Trail to Crooked Creek , a new romantic and adventurous western novella in the Crooked Creek series is now here to fill your hours with ...

Thursday, February 16, 2012

A Reader's Opinion: The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters

The Little StrangerThe Little Stranger by Sarah Waters


I happen to find the review by Scarlett Thomas at the New York Times to be most helpful and I recommend it as it reflects much of how I thought of the book. (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/31/books/...).

Now for a reader's opinion: I had mixed feelings when I first began this book. Stephen King's blurb on the cover promised sleepless nights and others swore to haunting thoughts. It wasn't until a couple of chapters in when the bit of eeriness began to subtly creep through, but it didn't continue. Though gripping and well-written, I found nothing scary about the book, though the build-up in sections was rather well done. Gothic and old-fashioned, the story was certainly not as 'ghost-like' as I had hoped it would be, however the author does a nice job with the chill-factor. The only real disappointment I felt was towards the end. I felt as though everything took a sharp right and veered off a cliff into something that didn't quite seem to fit. I don't need pleasant endings, but I do prefer when the ending does justice to the characters.

Would I recommend this book? Yes. I would because 1) Sarah Waters is a gifted writer which the book reflects; 2) if you prefer an old-fashioned 'ghost story', then the book will likely pull you in.

Would I read it again? Not likely. because when I read a ghost story I want the chills and thrills to continue all the way through to the end and there were a few dry parts I felt did nothing for the story.

Would I read more books by Sarah Waters? Yes. I believe she is a talented writer and I though this particular book was not my cup of tea, I would like to read more of what the author has to offer.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is a happy place for book lovers. Please keep all comments kind and clean. All unhappy comments will be removed. Thank you!