Do you ever wake up on a weekend morning and wish you had a slice of delicious cake on your plate? A cake that contains enough good-for-you-stuff so you don't feel guilty (or not too guilty, or perhaps a little guilty but you can ignore it because it has fruit)? Well, this is that cake. It is a heavier cake, so a small slice satisfies.
|Photo by MK|
This delicious and hearty apple cake's fragrant scent will waft through the kitchen (and surrounding rooms). It is adapted from Lucy's of Ambleside's Apple Cinnamon Cake with Vanilla Frosting. Her version is both gluten-free and dairy-free and obviously this one is not. However, you can certainly use gluten-free ingredients—I just haven't tested it that way. I also added cranberries to the cake itself rather than just using as a garnish. The result is a very scrumptious and easy to bake cake.
Recipe By : MK
Serving Size : 20 slices
- 1 1/2 cups Earth Balance Vegan Buttery Sticks, softened
- 1 1/2 cups confectioner's sugar
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbs ground cinnamon
- 6 large eggs, room temp
- 3 large apples,finely chopped (above picture shows diced)
- 1 cup dried cranberries
For the Buttercream Frosting:
- 4 cups confectioner's sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup skim milk
- Cream Earth Balance and confectioner's sugar until smooth.
- Mix together flour and cinnamon and add to creamed mixture.
- Whisk eggs and add diced apples, coating the apples with the eggs.
- Fold into flour mixture and then fold in cranberries.
- Bake in prepared pan for approx 40-45 minutes (works with a bundt pan, 2-9" rounds, or similar sized pan).
- Cool on rack for 15 minutes; remove from pan and continue to cool for 20-25 minutes.
- Spread frosting evenly over cake, sprinkle with crushed walnuts if desired (walnuts not included in nutritional analysis).
To Make the Frosting:
- Combine all ingredients and blend well until very smooth and creamy.
- Spread evenly over cake.
- Note: for a lighter cake, simply drizzle rather than using a thick spread.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Per Serving (based upon this recipe only): 368 Calories; 20g Fat (49.1% calories from fat); 3g Protein; 44g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 76mg Cholesterol; 176mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0 Fruit; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1 Fat; 2 Other Carbohydrates.
Allergy Warning: This recipe contains dairy and eggs.
Note: This recipe was originally posted in 2013 on MK's recipe blog. You may find more recipes at www.mkmcclintock.com/recipes.