|Photo by MK|
Blackberries and bread—two of my favorite food items. I whipped up this richly dense bread over the weekend. Baked with a strudel topping and then lightly coated with a cream cheese glaze, this bread is a tasty morning or afternoon treat. Note that this is a dense bread and is easy to either over or under bake. Be sure that when you check the bread, don't just eye this one-use a knife or wooden stirring stick-you don't want to under-bake it. If it's done, take it out and remove from the pans so you avoid over-baking. Don't worry, the bread is worth it. If you'd like to lighten the bread a bit, cut the apple content in half and don't use the strudel.
Apple-Blackberry Bread with Cream Cheese Glaze
Makes 1 loaf
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, at room temp
- 2 large eggs, at room temp
- 1/3 cup non-fat sour cream
- 1/3 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup fresh blackberries
- 1 1/2 cups apple, semi-ripe and chopped (approx 1 1/2 med apples)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 Tbs unbleached flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 Tbs melted butter
- 2 oz low-fat cream cheese
- 3 Tbs powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 Tbs non-fat milk
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Combine flour, baking soda, and salt, stirring with a whisk to combine.
- Beat sugar and butter at medium speed until well blended (approx 1 min). Add eggs, sour cream, buttermilk and vanilla; beat until blended.
- Add flour mixture and and beat on low speed just until moist.
- Gently fold in blackberries and chopped apples; smooth into loaf pan (note: mixture will be heavy and chunky).
- Prepare strudel by combing all ingredients, mix well and sprinkle evenly over bread.
- Bake for 1 hr 15min - 1 hr 30min depending upon oven. Be sure it's done but don't let it over-bake. Allow to rest on wire cooling rack for 5 minutes, remove and continue to cool.
- To prepare strudel (while bread is still warm): combine cream cheese, powdered sugar, and milk; stir until smooth then drizzle or smooth over with a pastry brush. Allow bread to cool completely before serving.
Allergy Warning: This recipe contains dairy and eggs.
Note: This recipe was originally published in April 2013. Find more recipes at www.mkmcclintock.com/recipes.