Monday, November 3, 2014

Message from MK: November 2014

Dearest Reader,

What a beautiful time to be alive. I used to bemoan that I was born in what I believed to be the wrong century. I truly thought--and still do--that I would have done quite well in the 18th or 19th centuries. Yes, life was indeed rougher and so unpredictable, but aren't they still? I suppose it is the simplicity of life back then compared to how it is now. There's so much noise everywhere that I constantly feel the need to escape the din. That's not always easy, but for me, it is necessary. This is one reason why I choose to live where I do. Montana is often a forgotten place with a somewhat sparse population considering the land mass. The winters can be long and brutal with barely a hint of sun, but I wouldn't change a thing about it.

Do you see the image above? That's my escape. When the lakes, mountains, and parks empty of tourists, that's when I find true solace. Without that solace, I could not write. I could not create.

As Gloria E. AnzaldĂșa said, “Why am I compelled to write? . . . Because the world I create in the writing compensates for what the real world does not give me."  This is also why I prefer to write historical fiction. Not to say that I will never write a contemporary, but historicals feed my soul in a way that a contemporary story never has.

My newest work of historical fiction is A Home for Christmas will be released on November 5th. A collection of three short stories, each one features a character who is in search of a new home. That wasn't my intention when I began to write the stories, but a home is exactly what they find. Their journey's may not be easy and their stories may not have all began with sunshine and roses, but they each find their own solace.

As we move into another season of Thanksgiving, my hope for you is that you find something every day for which you are grateful. It doesn't matter how small of a something it is, but be grateful. Don't hesitate to tell others what they mean to you or how they have positively affected your life.

May you have a blessed and thankful November.
-MK McClintock

A new "journal" entry is posted monthly at the website.

No comments:

Post a Comment