Thursday, October 2, 2014

Waiting for Autumn Colors

 "Autumn carries more gold in its pocket than all the other seasons." 
- Jim Bishop

What is it about this time of year that makes me smile, want to spend more time outdoors, and gets me giddy to just be alive? I love all four seasons, but autumn holds a special place in my heart. Everything about this season beckons me to be more, do more, risk more, and explore more.

This is the time of year when I first started writing, and when I considered publication. When the leaves begin to fall, I take to the woods, walk along the river, and hike mountains, and when I do, some of my best work in photography emerges. 

When the air turns crisp and the mountains begin to show a dusting of snow, I know that it's time to bring in wood for that first crackling fire of the season. I wait for this season all year long. Even while I'm playing in the garden or swimming in the lake, I'm anxious for the golds, oranges, yellows, reds, and greens to blend together and forge a backdrop of color and beauty no one else except nature could create. 

It's no wonder that most of my stories begin during this season, albeit unintentionally. Once I realized what I was doing, I made an effort to bring other seasons into play, but none bring out my creativity or sense of discovery like autumn. 

Even now as I write this, my imagination is ripe with new ideas and an renewed eagerness to write without hesitation or procrastination. It's amazing what can motivate a person, and though I have many motivations, none touch me in quite the same way as this miraculous season of beauty and change. 

What is your favorite season and why?

-MK

No comments:

Post a Comment