Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Letters from Hawk's Peak: November 10, 1883

A collection of letters have been unearthed from the historic Hawk's Peak ranch by the descendents of Ethan and Brenna Gallagher. These letters give us greater insight into the lives of all the Gallaghers during the late 1800's, and will be shared over the next several months here with historic copies posted on the website

 _______________________________________________________


November 10, 1883

Dear Iain and Maggie,

It seems odd that I'm writing to you, and I'm sorry I haven't before now. I'm not as good with the letter writing as my wife. Brenna has shared your letters with me, and I can't tell you enough how grateful I am for your kindness, concern, and love. I don't believe I can express the depth of my love for our Brenna and Jacob, and I know how much you must miss them. Brenna mentioned our planned visit to Scotland already, but I wanted to tell you myself--no, promise--that I will bring them to you once the snow melts and travel across the ocean is safe.  I hope you don't mind, but a few of the other Gallaghers have expressed interest in joining with us. One of us will remain here, as we don't leave Hawk's Peak without a Gallagher in charge, but you can expect half our clan in the spring. Andrew, Gabriel's new little brother, wants to ride a Highland pony and see a Highland barbarian. Brenna didn't have the heart to tell him that they really aren't barbarians. 

I fondly remember my time in Scotland and feel Jacob deserves to know both families and both worlds. I can't say I'd be disappointed if he chose Scotland, but I suppose I have a lot of years before worrying about that. God willing, he'll have brothers and sisters and plenty of cousins to carry on the legacy of Hawk's Peak and Cameron Manor. 

I told you this once before, but I feel it's worth repeating. Thank you for loving Brenna and helping her become the woman she is today. I spend every day making myself worthy of her. I only regret that I never met her parents, but I'm grateful she still has both of you. 

With affection, 
Ethan
Click on letter for larger view.

Wild Horses photo credit: Stuck in Customs via photopin cc

No comments:

Post a Comment