Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Letters from Hawk's Peak: October 12, 1883

A collection of letters have been unearthed from the historic Hawk's Peak ranch by the descendents of Ethan and Brenna Gallagher. These letters give us greater insight into the lives of all the Gallaghers during the late 1800's, and will be shared over the next several months here with historic copies posted on the website.
 _______________________________________________________


October 12, 1883

Dearest Iain,                    

I received your letter, and what a pleasant surprise it was. Maggie conveyed your concern, and how dear  you are to always think of me. Were I to tell you everything that has happened in the past year, you might journey all the way to Montana and drag me home. Not to worry, though. I knew that when I married Ethan that I could expect a lifetime of adventure, and so far I have not been disappointed. I do miss Scotland every day, but I never once imagined such joy as I've found here with Ethan.

Oh, Iain, you should see the autumn colors, brilliant golds and reds, spread across the vast landscape. This place often reminds me of home, and yet when I look up at the snow-covered mountain peaks that tower over us all, I'm awed to realize that I have two homes. Some day I hope you'll come to visit. I do believe you'd enjoy Montana.

Jacob has grown so much in his first two years. I can hardly believe that's how long it's been since you've seen him, but I will rectify that because I want him to know both worlds. Ethan has promised that we'll travel to Scotland in the spring, and I cannot contain my excitement. I tell Jacob stories of you, my parents, and of course Cameron Manor, for it will after all be partly his one day.

The cattle herd is strong this year and the grass was plentiful this last summer. I remember the first winter I was here, the loss and heartache, and yet the people of Briarwood and all of the Gallaghers, possess a strength to rival that of our own Highlanders. I believe you will love Ethan's family as much of you love him, for I do know you love him, Iain. You would not have allowed me to go with him otherwise.

Know that I am loved and cared for, Jacob is such a happy boy. Gabriel's new nephew, Andrew, says he's going to teach Jacob all about horses when he's older, but I think Ethan might be Andrew to it. I did catch Gabriel giving Jacob one of Elizabeth's oatmeal cookies, and Eliza can't help but buy him a new toy every time she goes to town. Yes, we are both loved.

I do miss you, and I pray you are well. Please give my love to Maggie and tell her I will write again soon and send the recipe for Elizabeth's soft biscuits as promised.

With love,
Brenna
Click on the letter for a larger view.
  

Letters from Hawk's Peak are Copyright ©MK McClintock. Reproduction of any kind is prohibited.

No comments:

Post a Comment