I've had the pleasure of seeing much of this country, mostly from my numerous cross-country jaunts, and the occasional desire to live in or explore other places, but I've always come home to Montana.
As a writer, I appreciate the immense beauty of this land, and every morning I find something new I love about it, but here are a few of my favorite things and why I call Montana home.
- Even though our populations has finally exceeded the 1 million mark, it's still an incredibly low number considering the land mass.
- Elk, deer, and antelope outnumber the humans.
- Glacier National Park.
- Flathead Lake.
- Drive one mile outside of town and you can go a full day without seeing anyone else.
- The wildlife are smarter than people. We have a 'pet' black bear we call Stewart, who has successfully evaded capture by Fish and Game for many years.
- Slower pace of life.
- Some people still ask me if we get high-speed internet service up here.
- No sales tax (helps with all the book-buying).
- Everywhere I look there is an endless supply of stunning beauty, which for this writer, offers the best inspiration for which anyone could ever ask.
What's your favorite thing about where you live?