Friday, May 24, 2013

Summer Adventure Challenge

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." 
-Mark Twain

It's not quite summer here, but in some locations it is, and if you love the outdoors as I do, chances are good that you've been planning your summer adventures.

I came across this Summer Adventure Challenge in Men's Fitness via Women's Fitness, but I decided I wanted to take the challenge. Because I enjoy spending time outdoors, coming up with a challenge was the easy part--I want to hike the entire trail system in Glacier National Park. 

Granted, I don't expect this to happen in one summer. With over 700 miles of trails in the park, it could take me two, three, or five summers, but it's definitely a goal I will begin working on this year. 

"When you reach your goal, you generally experience more confidence in yourself, which can lead you to set additional goals." 
-Dr. Trent A. Petrie

One of the best reasons for writers and readers to take on on a summer adventure challenge is because our favorite activities (writing and reading) are sedentary, which means we need to get out and move! 

I'll be working on two challenges simultaneously during the summer months--one is hiking the trails of Glacier Park, and the other is visiting Montana ghost towns. The best part is that my books and laptop can go with me on the trails. Where my laptop won't go, my tape recorder or a small paperback will.

My reward for reaching the top of a mountain will be eating lunch and reading a book while enjoying the magnificent views, and . . . uh, a fit body.

What do you say--are you ready to accept the Summer Adventure Challenge? What will be your challenge? Feel free to share with us here, or inspire others by writing about it on your own blog.

2 comments:

  1. There's been a number of changes in my life recently, so my challenge is going to be in getting my schdule figured out so I can go walking and to the fitness center. It's far too hot in Texas to walk outside, so there's a Church I can go to with a walking track. Or use the treadmill at the fitness center - not so much fun. Will be glad to share any updates!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scheduling is tough for me too. I don't go to gyms, and even up here it gets too hot for me on a summer day, so I have to start at 5:00 AM to get in a long walk or good workout at home. That's wonderful that the church close by has a walking track! Let us know how it works out!

      Delete

This is a happy place for book lovers. Please keep all comments kind and clean. All unhappy comments will be removed. Thank you!