Friday, April 12, 2013

Defining the Genre of "Alaina Claiborne"

Romance, adventure, and mystery . . . how would you categorize a book with these elements? 

A couple of weeks back I began seeing people slowly change Alaina Claiborne's genre from Historical Romance to Romantic Suspense, some even leaving off the historical part. Others seemed confused about which genre it fell under--mystery or romance.

As the author of this book I have to admit, I was surprised. Which is probably why I feel odd even clarifying, but I've had a few questions about this subject, so clarify I must.

Yes, there are elements of mystery with a bit of a surprise at the end when the main antagonist is revealed, but it's not an edge-of-your-seat thriller--it's not meant to be. 

Neither are the pages filled with only romance

Truth be told, it is probably best labeled only as Historical Fiction because it could fall under more than one genre. There isn't one specific focus of the story, but that's what makes it fun for me to write.  

I strongly recommend reading Alaina Claiborne with this in mind: At the heart of the story are the relationships--between Alaina and Tristan, and their relationship with the other agents. The intrigue and mystery fuel the hero/heroine relationship and it's what brings them together. The adventure? That's just for fun.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for noting how you would classify Alaina Claiborne. I keep track of the genres I read but don't normally purchase in specific genres; I like to expand my horizons every now and then. Bottom line, I would classify Alaina Claiborne as an excellent story, one I'm looking forward to reading again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to read outside my preferred genres sometimes too, but it's not always easy. Thank you for your kind words about "Alaina Claiborne", Karen. :)

      Delete
  2. This book sounds very intriguing. Thanks for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Charlene. It's fun for me to step away from western romance, but I always go back to it. :)

      Delete