Monday, January 21, 2013

Working with an Editor: "Locking Horns"

I'll be the first to admit, and deny, that I'm a stubborn person. I have no problem admitting when I'm wrong, but first someone has to prove me wrong, and that can get tricky. When it comes to my writing, there are times I want to "lock horns" and prove that my way is the "right" way--the only problem is that I'm not always right! Yes, this came as a surprise to me too. What do you mean I can't narrate in British? Who says a body part can't magically do something it isn't meant to do? And why on earth do I have to follow that rule when I don't say it that way? 

Yes, similar questions have gone back and forth while working with my editor. Luckily she has a great sense of humor, so it's fun, but I also learn a thing or two in the process. I may speak British at times, but let's face it, most American's don't, so what I want to say may come across as pretentious, odd, or confusing. Just because something sounds great in your head, doesn't mean it reads that way. That's what the editor is for--to point out the unclarity of a word which sounds perfectly natural to you (or me), though may confuse someone else. Just because I want to bank all of the lights in my house before I spend an evening with the ton, doesn't mean someone else knows what I'm talking about.

Is there a word you like to use in your writing, but removed because it didn't make sense to someone else? 



Disclaimer: My editor does not edit my blog posts, so I take full responsibility for any errors, as I'm certain there are a few.
 
Free Stock Photography: Locking Horns. Image: 210887
© Photographer: Carolyne Pehora | Agency: Dreamstime.com

No comments:

Post a Comment