Thursday, August 23, 2012

Do You Control Your Own Destiny?

 by MK McClintock

des·ti·ny
 
1. something that is to happen or has happened to a particular person or thing; lot or fortune.
2. the predetermined, usually inevitable or irresistible, course of events.
3. the power or agency that determines the course of events.

Do believe there is only one person out there for each of us? Do you believe that if you’ve missed your chance, you’ll not have another? Does destiny determine our lives and the love we experience in those lives?

I’ve always thought of destiny in two ways: We can either stop planning our lives, set aside all goals, hopes and dreams, and allow the universe to take us wherever she desires; or, we can embrace our hopes, passions, dreams and decide for ourselves which path to take. I’ve always believed that destiny works for us, not the other way around—especially when it comes to love. Destiny may have plotted our paths, but I believe we choose whether or not to take those paths. This belief may fly in the face of destiny, but I’m not entirely under her control.

With every choice we make, there is a chance that our original path may have changed—perhaps not the final outcome, but certainly the journey. No matter which definition of destiny to which one subscribes, we’re not puppets sitting around for her entertainment. We are all “destined” to die at some point in our lives, but we are not all “destined” to live. We must choose to live every moment of every day. We must choose how and when we love.

For Gabriel and Isabelle, their struggles with love are those of their own making. Even as their author, I did not entirely choose the direction they took, but I honored the path they chose. Was I destined to become a writer and therefore by default, what I write is also destined? I don’t believe that is a question that any mere mortal can answer. What I do know is that every day I live and love, I am not doing so to satisfy destiny—I do it for me.

Do you control your own destiny or by definition, is that impossible?


The Book 
She sought a new beginning.
He sought what he didn't know was missing.
Together they would discover hope in unlikely places.
Isabelle Rousseau must escape New Orleans and the memory of her family's tragic loss. With her younger brother in tow, she accepts a position as the new schoolteacher in Briarwood, Montana. Desperate to keep what's left of her family together, Isabelle joins her life with a stranger only to discover that trust and hope go hand in hand.
Gabriel Gallagher lived each day as it came believing he had everything he could possibly want . . . until a determined woman and her brother arrive with a little luggage and a lot of secrets. It will take a drastic choice to protect her and give them both hope for the future.
 
www.mkmcclintock.com


3 comments:

  1. Very nicely written - words to ponder that's for sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by ladies! :) This was actually a topic someone from a book tour asked me to write about, but it didn't get posted so I thought I'd share it here. It was an interesting topic to think about since I had to separate my religious beliefs, but I enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete