THE TRAIL TO CROOKED CREEK: A Romantic Western Adventure

The Trail to Crooked Creek , a new romantic and adventurous western novella in the Crooked Creek series is now here to fill your hours with ...

Monday, April 16, 2012

A Reader's Opinion: Hunter Moon by Cait Lavender

The Book: (Amazon blurb)
Bawling cattle tore Shelby Flint from her bed. With lawyer fees to pay in her struggle to keep her ranch from the clutches of her greedy cousins, she couldn’t afford the loss of even one calf. When she sees a large wolf circling her cows, she aims and fires. While the wolf escapes, Shelby can’t seem to get away from her troubles when a marijuana grower sets up shop on her land, sabotaging her property and eventually coming after her. Adding to that, a handsome game warden is poking his nose into her business and working his way underneath her skin. Shelby will have to fight harder than she ever fought before to keep from losing heart and everything she ever loved.

A Reader's Opinion:
I've always been fairly traditional in my genre preferences. If I wanted a western, I read a western. If I wanted a historical romance, that's what I wanted to read and I didn't appreciate writers messing up what I believed already worked. It wasn't until recently that I discovered that the rules have been broken and boundaries have been stretched. I still prefer my traditional genres-nothing will ever change that, but once in a while I give something else a try. Usually I'm disappointed, but every now and then I find a new style to appreciate. Such is the case with Cait Lavender's Hunter Moon.

Lavender took her experience with small cattle ranching and put it to good use, throwing steamy hot wolves into the mix. Yes, there is a lot of steam between Cash and Shelby. Cait manages to create a tension between the two characters without filling the book with smut (something this reader appreciates). You'll definitely come away with a favorite, and chances are it won't be the character you started out liking, as was the case with me. The story kept a good pace and considering that I would normally avoid reading a paranormal book, I found that I wanted to know what was going to happen. Shelby has a lot of spunk and sass and I enjoyed her sarcastic sense of humor. She's tough and she can get the job done without the help of a man. Cash is the big tough guy who you start out thinking is a big dumb jock, but he surprises you and somehow you end up thinking "Can I have him?"

Overall, I was surprised that I enjoyed this book because it messed with my favored western genre, but Cait delivered with her spunky style. It's an entertaining read and even though you're left with a 'What the heck happens next?' feeling, you're sure to want to go back for round two. For those looking for a traditional-style western book, this won't be for you. I would however, recommend this book for anyone who enjoys a good paranormal read with some hot contemporary cowboy love. Cait gets my vote!

Book Content: There is a little swearing throughout the book. It's not blatant or overused, but if that is a concern for some, I'm just giving a head's up. I'm particular about swearing of any kind and what was in this book didn't offend me nor did it distract from the story. Sexual content is in the form of a lot of steam, hotness and minor innuendo.

Title: Hunter Moon
Genre: Paranormal
Format: Ebook
Publisher: Kindle Direct
Release Date: March 1, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is a happy place for book lovers. Please keep all comments kind and clean. All unhappy comments will be removed. Thank you!