Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Goodreads Book Review: Death Comes to Pemberley by P.D. James

Death Comes to PemberleyDeath Comes to Pemberley by P.D. James

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Jane Austen with a murderous twist - that's really the only way to describe this book. I did enjoy reading it, though at times it was difficult to get into the story. The characters were at times a bit too dry (more than usual British dry), but James managed to stay in tune with Austen's style for the most part so it was believable. I suppose what was most difficult for me about this story, is the relationship between Darcy and Elizabeth - I didn't quite believe it. It's not a romance, so the lack of it is understandable, but I just didn't 'feel' the relationship between the two in this one...until the end. The book seemed to take a turn from mystery to romance in the last chapters. The murder part, however was well written and James did a nice job plotting it out (she certainly has the real-life experience). If you're a die-hard Austen fan, this one might not be for you, but if you're open to interpretation and author leeway, then you'll probably enjoy this book as I did.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is a happy place for book lovers. Please keep all comments kind and clean. All unhappy comments will be removed. Thank you!